The church was once known as St Mary of the Moor or St Mary ad mora. It is thought to be built on Saxon foundations, originally located there as a monk’s cell, with a beacon light to guide people over the Yorkshire Wolds from the monasteries of Bridlington and Beverley to Kirkham Priory. The tower is Norman and much of the building was rebuilt, using some of the ancient stone, in 1862 in the Early English style. Some of the early memorials are built into the fabric.
St Mary’s is in the Parish of West Buckrose. For information about services, baptism, confirmation and weddings please visit the benefice website at www.westbuckrose.org