Work on is due to start on 22nd January 2018 and will take 6 weeks to complete.
The road will be closed to traffic for the duration of the works with a signed traffic diversion via Westow, Barton le Willows and the A64.
The work comprises of:-
- stonework repairs using new indented stone
- vegetation clearance on the bridge
- resurfacing to the pedestrian refuges over the piers
- cleaning thedrainage system
- replacement of the eroded parapet with new stone
The contractor is PBS Construction.
The bridge is a scheduled ancient monument and consent for the works has been granted by Historic England.
English Heritage, as Kirkham Priory is next to the bridge, the residents who live in the houses in the vicinity have been advised of the work and Mrs Henson who owns the land around the bridge has also been made aware.
Information boards are being put out in advance to alert the travelling public of the road closure.